Irradiation test for proper labeling that you can trust
Irradiation of foods and supplements is used in more than 60 countries to prolong stability and extend shelf life. About 500,000 tons of food are irradiated worldwide, especially in plants and spices. Irradiation is applied to food for the following reasons:
- to kill microorganisms in herbs and spices
- to prevent sprouting and germination of potatoes, onions and garlic
- to kill or sterilize insects from cereals, dried fruits, nuts and vegetables
- to delay the ripening and ripening of fruits and vegetables
- to prolong the expiration date by killing microorganisms in meat and fish.
Irradiated food should follow strict labeling guidelines, which vary by country. Testing should be performed using an appropriate method for the product to obtain reliable results.
How ICA R&D can help you:
ICA R&D offers irradiation tests in food, food additives, food supplements and other products, using multiple methods that comply with local regulations.
- Herbs and spices
- Potatoes, onions and garlic
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Fish and shells
- Backyard birds
- Dietary supplements
- Food Additives
- And much more
- Photostimulated luminescence (PSL): Fast and reliable screening method for dry foods containing silicate minerals (eg small dust particles). Suitable for herbs, spices, dried fruits or nuts, etc.
- Thermoluminescence (TL): Very specific and sensitive method for foods containing silicate minerals. Suitable for herbs, spices, dried fruits, nuts, fresh fruits, vegetables, berries, tubers, onions, seafood or shrimp, etc.
- Electron Spin Resonance (ESR): Very reliable method based on the detection of paramagnetic compounds. Suitable for foods containing crystalline sugars (eg refined sugar), foods containing apatite (eg, beef bones, chicken; fish bones; frog legs), shells, mussels and snails, and samples containing cellulose (for example, walnut shells), etc.
For more information, you can always contact an ICA R&D representative, to provide you with all the necessary information and guide you in choosing the set of analyzes you need so that we can then make you an offer of services appropriate to the situation and your product.